A leader in the Short Term Insurance space is seeking a Legal & Compliance Manager in Johannesburg.The successful incumbent will develop and implementing a legal risk management strategy for STI. He/ She will be responsible for proactively and constructively assisting business in identifying and interpreting applicable legislation and minimise legal risks through the providing of legal advice and assistance to the business.
To develop compliance risk management solutions within strategic guidelines and policies and to facilitate the management of compliance risks and breaches within the Business Unit through application of accepted risk management principles.
- LLB degree
- Admitted as an attorney of the High Court
- Preferably completed practical legal training at an accredited Law School
- Preferably completed a postgraduate diploma / degree with a commercial application
- Sound academic record
Knowledge & Experience
- Comprehensive expert knowledge of Financial Services Regulatory Environment
- Expert Legislative Knowledge
- Financial services regulatory environment
- General legislative knowledge
- 8+ years overall post-articles experience and a minimum of 4 years financial services experience,
- preferably at a large corporate or a bank, but alternatively in legal practice dealing with insurance and/or financial services matters
- Minimum of 3 years of overall experience must be in a Short-term Insurance role at a large corporate or a bank
- Extensive experience working with financial services legislation for example LTIA, STIA, FAIS, FICA, CISCA etc.
- Leading and being accountable for the legal and compliance function
- Identify applicable legislation, provide comments, perform impact analysis and give advice and guidance to business
- Draft legal contracts, policy documents etc. and review standard business communications
- Provide legal support to all areas of the business
- Litigation management
- Complaints management, including complaints received from different Ombudsman offices.
- Liaising with key stakeholders in the business, the FSCA, PA and other regulatory bodies when required
- Functioning proactively and strategically with a holistic view on compliance
- Demonstrated knowledge of Compliance Risk Management Methodology
- Ability to write, communicate and interpret legislative requirement at the appropriate level
- Ability to implement various strategic compliance requirements
- Ability to implement annual compliance plan
- Ability to advise business on complex compliance matters
- Demonstrating effective management by setting objectives for team member, facilitating work prioritisation and performance management
- Implementing mechanisms to ensure the development of team member, including enhancing skills and knowledge. This includes the effective dissemination of compliance knowledge amongst the team
- Ability to independently solve complex legal problems in a systematic and logical manner
- Good verbal and written communication skills, including report writing skills
- Ability to independently draft legal documents, for example contracts, policy documentation etc. which are of a complex nature
- Ability to conduct legal research
- Good facilitation and conflict handling skills
- Ability to collate information and to draft legal reports, for example Exco & Risk Committee reports
- Ability to partner with customers and/or colleagues (up to Exco level) to deliberate and discuss complex and/or sensitive issues with the aim of finding an appropriate solution.