A leader in the Insurance space is looking for a BI Developer who is responsible for supporting the overall data development, BI models/reports/dashboards, engaging with stakeholders, technical solutions that deliver on business requirements, assisting with the development of an analytics capability and provide general support across the BI space. This will encompass the design and delivery of business intelligence and analytics solutions that provide business with the necessary data and insights that drive business decision making, operational excellence, business performance and service excellence.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND WORK OUTPUTS
Stakeholder management: Enable client centricity within area of responsibility (Client Services):
- Elicit the business requirements and uncover business KPI's, opportunities, resulting functionality, data and processes needed in order to recommend the appropriate solution.
- Must provide specialist BI business services and business requirements gathering which support the development of innovative BI solutions, including BI dashboards, as well as making recommendations for continuous improvement efforts that enable business objectives.
- Identify opportunities to improve existing business intelligence solutions.
- Build and maintain relationships with clients and stakeholders
- Make recommendations to improve client service and fair treatment of clients within area of responsibility
- Contribute to the process of negotiating objective and realistic service level agreements, monitor appropriateness and recommend adjustments
- Deliver on service level agreements made with clients and internal and external stakeholders in order to ensure that client expectations are managed
- Maintain awareness of the business intelligence and analysis agenda by engaging regularly with all stakeholders to determine business requirements
- Post-delivery follow up with the data clients to understand additional business intelligence requirements and challenges.
- Provide support to end users on BI product content
- Fulfil the role of subject matter expert on all technical aspects of BI products
- Identify opportunities to enhance and automate technical processes
Drive the delivery of meaningful business intelligence, analysis, reporting and insights:
- Support business decision making through design, documentation and communication of technical solutions
- Deliver accurate, reliable and timeous automated BI dashboards and reports
- Be able to follow agile development approaches
- Keep abreast with latest BI technologies and make recommendations where needed.
- Proactively identify risks within business, provide insight into business metrics.
- Continuously monitor and drive the optimisation of management information systems.
- Contribute to peer review process to support the design of artefacts within data mart and assessment of solutions for feasibility, re-use and extensibility.
- Design solutions in line with the business intelligence architecture of the environment and parameters of business processes that need to be measured and analysed.
- Participate in BI code reviews
- Constant refinement to standardize and implement new functionality based on experience and lessons learnt
- Execute the Data team strategy as it pertains to BI and reporting
- Adhere to technical standards and best practices
- Test solutions to ensure that the business objectives have been satisfied accurately.
- Assist BI teams and business in enabling self-service BI.
- In-depth understanding of database structure principles.
- Keep abreast of data structures and data within the data warehouse.
- Specify relevant data inputs needed for BI application or dashboard.
- Work with the relevant warehouse teams to assist with additional requirements to deliver BI applications.
- Effective metadata management to enable consistence and transparency on all data assets.
Contribute as an effective member of the team:
- Contribute to a positive work climate and culture to energise peers, give meaning to work and maximise team productivity.
- Demonstrate exemplary behaviour, through personal involvement, commitment and dedication in support of organisational values.
- Fostering an environment of continuous learning, improvement and cohesiveness.
- Contribute to learning and growth whereby information regarding successes, issues, trends and ideas are actively shared between team members.
- Share openly your growth and development needs and assist to identify ongoing development, training and personal growth opportunities.
- Contribute proactively.
- Encourage innovation, change agility and collaboration within the team
- Participate and contribute to a culture which builds rewarding relationships, facilitates feedback and provides exceptional client service
EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Degree in Finance, Information Systems, Information Technology, Informatics, Statistics or related. Minimum 3 years' experience in data analysis and interpretation, within a BI Development/ data environment OR If no appropriate tertiary qualification, then minimum 5 years' experience in a data analysis and interpretation, within a BI Development/ data environment
- Minimum 3 years' experience in stakeholder engagement and interaction within a BI Development/ data environment
- Proficiency in Qlikview or PowerBI
- Experience with the MS SQL Stack especially SSRS,
- Experience with Python/R/SAS or any analytic toolset would be an advantage
- Proficiency in SSIS would be advantageous